Wednesday 18 May 2011

Post 44 - Maya facial rig - Eyes

Now that I've finished the 3ds Max head rig using morph targets and reaction manager (and then applying this to the full figure rig), I felt it was time to explore another method of face rigging. Although you can also rig faces using stretchy bones and skinning them as influence to the mesh, I also wanted to return to Maya to 'mix it up a bit'.




I began by importing the Max eye geometry into the Maya file. These would then need to be given basic textures (which despite not knowing how to texture was very easy to do). The technique for rigging eyes is different from that of 3ds Max and is done by placing the eyes into position, then creating joints from the head joint, aligning them and then adding them to the joints as skinning influence. Now skinned, they will move with the head. Next up was to create look at controls. In Maya, this is  done by by applying an aim constraint on the eyes, making them aim towards a spline controller. This is the same method as Max essentially, the main difference being the way in which they are parented to the head (however, there are other strategies for parenting, which I will get into with the face joints in the next post). Influenced by what I learnt it 3ds Max, I did try to do most of this process, but I did find some tutorial clips which confirmed that what I was doing was the right way to go about it.



Joint based eye set up - LINK
Aim constraint - LINK

No comments:

Post a Comment