Friday 18 March 2011

Post 14 - 3ds Max - Skinning: Envelopes

Envelopes
I have begun to explore the skinning of the rig. Using the rig made in 3ds Max, I am using a 'skin' modifier. Then, by selecting each bone, an envelope is assigned to it. I have then started to edit the envelope. As you can see, the amount that the envelope is covering is shown using a colour spectrum. Red mean it is effected 100%. Blue means it is not affected at all and anything in-between is partially effected.

This is very similar to the envelopes that the 'physique' modifier provided when skinning the biped. However, I find that the 'skinning' modifier is a much clearer way of visually communicating the process and should make quick work of the initial phase. I am going to get as far with this as I can with this, but I aim to have it completed by Sunday the 20th of March.

I should point out at this stage that although skinning is a somewhat dark art or skill in its own right, it is important that some form of skinning takes place in order to fully analyse and test any rig. It gives a rig forms and purpose. In addition, I feel that in investigating skinning, it allows me to understand what is needed to be considered when rigging (such as bone position and how this effects the envelope process). I would not consider this to be going off on a tangent and has been factored into the proposed workflow.




Envelope clip - LINK

No comments:

Post a Comment