Tuesday 8 March 2011

Post 05 - 3ds Max: Bones First Attempt


Character Rigging Workshop PDFs.


My first introduction to rigging began by attempting to follow a set of three tutorial PDF files provided by Joe Russo. These were aimed at teaching how to make and eventually skin an intermediate rig using 'bones'. This featured twist bones, IK (inverse kinematics) joints, and use of layers, freeze tool and bones attributes. I also started to look into creating custom bone controls.

I got as far as I could, but unfortunately I struggled as it is an intermediate tutorial and felt that I was slightly out of my depth. Two areas that I began to fail were as follows:

- Creating twist bones, which were supposed to be over-laid over the original forearm bone.
- Custom control pivot points: altering the pivot point of a control and linking this to a joint, so that it is possible to control a joint positioned at 'A', but with the control's pivot point still residing at Position 'B'. At my current level of rigging knowledge, I was unable to continue on with this.


However, when solutions become apparent, I will address these problems in a later post.


Tutorial PDF - LINK

No comments:

Post a Comment